Fundamentally, humans are creatures of growth and adaptation. The very essence of our being is rooted in a quest for improvement, a drive to evolve and transcend the boundaries of our current states. When this inherent urge is stifled by the constraints of routine, work remains unchanged monotony sets in and a subtle yet potent sense of disillusionment takes root.
It’s in these moments that we must seek change or become a victim of the limitations around us.
Indeed, when we work to discover new methods, technologies, and perspectives, we unshackle ourselves from the confines of the familiar. This newfound freedom sparks creativity, granting us the canvas to paint bold strokes of originality. As we chart uncharted territories, we cultivate a sense of ownership and contribution, infusing our endeavors with meaning and purpose. The thrill of tackling novel challenges and the joy of witnessing our ideas flourish not only elevate our work satisfaction but also breathe vitality into our professional identities.
The Path Is Not Without Its Perils
The human psyche is an intricate labyrinth of emotions and cognition. As such, it often finds itself ensnared in the web of resistance when confronted with the prospect of change. This resistance stems from a myriad of factors that make us want to cling to the familiar.
Indeed, the known, even if imperfect, exudes a sense of security. Change, on the other hand, embodies the uncertain and unexplored, disrupting the cocoon of predictability we construct around ourselves. This fear of venturing into the unknown can evoke a primal instinct for self-preservation, prompting us to resist change in order to maintain the stability we have meticulously crafted.
What To Do
Here is my tried and true 6 Step Process for Personal Change™:
- Self-reflection: This allows us to gain clarity about what we want to change and why.
- Setting clear goals: Clearly defining what we want to achieve provides direction and a sense of purpose.
- Creating a plan: Developing a well-structured plan of action is essential in defining the resources, skills, and support needed to make change happen for you.
- Seeking support: Unquestionably, having objective 3rd party perspectives along your change journey keeps one on track and you should cultivate that support as part of the change process.
- Cultivating self-discipline and self-care: By doing so, we can maintain physical, mental, and emotional well-being throughout the change process, too.
- Celebrating progress: Recognizing and rewarding your progress along the way provides the inspiration needed to stay the course. Remember to celebrate process.
To close, change stands as an indispensable cornerstone of work and personal satisfaction. It is the fulcrum upon which innovation, growth, collaboration, and rejuvenation pivot. Through change, we tap into our innate desire for progress and transformation, rekindling the flame of creativity and purpose. The steps outlined here can be used to find your way forward into a fresh new light that can serve to inspire change for the rest of your
Interested to see what Accel5 has to offer?
James Kerr is one of today’s foremost authorities on leadership and company culture. His work is featured in a variety of business magazines, including Fast Company, BusinessWeek, and Bloomberg, and he’s a contributing columnist at Inc. and Management Issues, writing on leadership and business transformation.